Friday, November 21, 2014

The Advent Calendar

Years ago, I purchased this calendar designed by Noel Piper from Desiring God Ministries.  I liked the simplistic look and the hands-on design.




There is a script that came with the calendar with readings for each day.  On Day 2, we read readings from both Day 1 and Day 2; on Day 3, we begin at the beginning and add the third part of the story. The repetition is what "makes" the tradition.  I can remember hearing our oldest daughter reciting the story verbatim to her dolls and animals at age 2!  Also, notice that it hangs at their eye level to encourage interaction with it.







{YH tidbit: We began the calendar tradition with our oldest daughter when we lived in Ukraine from 2003-2005.  We went back a second time from 2010-2012. This is our youngest wearing the same outfit her big sister wore when we began the tradition.}


On Christmas Day, our kids have always anticipated the moment when they can finally put baby Jesus into the manger.  The memories we have of our children treasuring God's Word and story in their hearts are priceless!




A bonus feature of this calendar is that it easily packs.  I've bagged the little pieces, unscrewed the two pieces of dowel and rolled it all up together to pack in a suitcase when we didn't spend Christmas at home.


Unfortunately, the calendars are no longer available for purchase, but I think that you could easily adapt other calendars that are on the market.  Or, if you're the crafty type, you could re-create this one.  Craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby sell plain wooden pieces that you can decorate as you wish for the people; you can buy little jewelry pieces for the gifts of the Magi; and there are a variety of sources where you can find the plastic animals.   My oldest suggested ordering several of the camels we used on our Jesse Tree.

You can find a copy of the script on Noel's blog.  

{Apparently the above link isn't working and I've recently found requests for this script in my spam box - SO sorry if you were one of those people.Unfortunately I was not able to reply to you because I didn't have an e-mail with your request.  If you need this script, please e-mail me at mrsyellowhat @ yahoo dot com and I will be more than happy to get it to you- just include a good working e-mail for yourself!}

Calendar measurements: 27" wide x 21" long overall; the picture area is 12 3/8" long with the remaining space on the bottom for the numbered boxes.  Everything attaches with velcro.


2 comments:

  1. Hello! Thank you for sharing about your advent tradition! I have been looking for Noel Piper's advent story script, but the link you offered does not work :( Is there any way you could send me a copy of the script? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking for the advent script and couldn't find it .can you also send it to me?

    ReplyDelete